While this is a repeat of a blog from several years ago, it may be a help to some of you as we enter this holiday season. The best gift that you can give to a nursing home resident is a visit. If you cannot visit or want to do something extra for the holidays or their birthday, the following is an adaptation of a list published by the California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform in the winter of 2011.
- A new pair of slippers or a robe in a favorite color.
- A gift certificate for a haircut, massage, or manicure.
- Recent pictures of family and friends in an album, frames, or a bulletin board.
- Video record a family event that the resident was unable to attend and enjoy watching it with them.
- A subscription to a favorite magazine or newspaper.
- Crossword or word search books. (Perhaps in large print.)
- A personal television for the resident’s room or wireless headphones for their television.
- A wireless reading device.
- Quilt or lap blanket.
- Regular deliveries of flowers.
- Tote bag for walker or wheelchair.
- Luxury toiletries.
* The information contained in this Blog is intended for general information and educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or an opinion of counsel.